As of July.2018 DMV reuqest

Anyone taking the Pre-Licensing Course “…must present a current NY Photo Learner Permit or a valid interim permit with a NYS Government-issued ID card (such as a Non-Driver ID Card, Expired NY Photo Permit, and/or Expired NY Photo License) to the instructor at the pre-licensing course.”

Pre-Licensing Course

What is the Pre-licensing Course and how do I find one?

It is a DMV-approved, standardized classroom course that provides knowledge you will need as a new driver.  The course covers many important topics, including

  • driving within the highway transportation system
  • driver habits and skills
  • feelings, attitudes and risk taking
  • alcohol, other drugs and driving

You can find the course curriculum and other information in the Pre-Licensing Course Instructor’s Manual (MV-277).

The Pre-licensing Course is available through high schools, colleges, and many driving schools.  To find providers in your area, look online or in your telephone directory for “Driving Instruction.”

When you successfully complete the course, you will be given a Pre-licensing Course Certificate (MV-278). If you complete a high school or college driver education course, you will receive a Student Certificate of Completion (MV-285), and you do not need a Pre-licensing Course Certificate. You must have one of these certificates to schedule your road test.  You must bring the original certificate to your road test to turn in to the license examiner

Your Pre-licensing Course Certificate is valid for one year from the date it is issued.  A Student Certificate of Completion is valid for two years. If your Pre-licensing Course Certificate expires, you must complete the course again to receive the certificate required to schedule a road test.

Your certificate must be valid on the date that you make your Road Test appointment, but can be expired on the date you take your road test.